Welcome to the Board of Registered Nursing
The Board of Registered Nursing protects and advocates for the health and safety of the public by ensuring the highest quality registered nurses in the state of California.
- Nursing Programs
- NCLEX Pass Rates
- Accreditation and Retention/Attrition Rates
- Annual Reports
- RN to BSN/MSN Education
- Specialized Public Health Nursing Program
- Review & Refresher Courses
- Course Listing for Schedule II Controlled Substances
- Financial Aid Information
- Residency & Transition to Practice Programs
- Excelsior College
- Instructions for Institutions Seeking Approval of New Prelicensure RN Program
- The Board is aware of the closure of Brightwood College and will provide additional information as soon as it’s available. In the meantime, please contact the Office of Student Assistance & Relief at the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education with any questions or concerns.
- On October 15, 2018, the Board’s Fee Increase regulations became effective. The fees associated in the regulations are scheduled to take effect October 25, 2018.
- COMING AUGUST 1! Apply for Health Professions Education Foundation Loan Repayment Programs
- 2016-2017 Post-Licensure Nursing Program Data Summary and Historical Trend Analysis Report is Now Available
- On March 29, 2018, the Board of Registered Nursing voted to enforce the minimum statutory fee for "Public Health Nurse" title.
Senator Hill recently introduced Senate Bill 1480. The bill would, if approved, make changes to the Public Health Nurse (PHN) fees that are currently set forth in Business and Professions Code section 2815(o). At the Board of Registered Nursing public Board meeting held on March 29, 2018, the Board voted to enforce the $500 minimum statutory fee based on that which was previously approved by the Legislature. Please be advised that the proposed statutory fee changes will not become effective until January 1, 2019 if the bill is approved by the Legislature and signed by the Governor. The language regarding the proposed fee changes is below. You are urged to follow the bill as it makes its way through the various legislative committees.
Introduced by Senator Hill
February 16, 2018
SEC. 5. Section 2816 of the Business and Professions Code is amended to read:
The nonrefundable fee to be paid by a registered nurse for an evaluation of his or her qualifications to use the title “public health nurse” shall
be equal to the fees set out in subdivision (o) of Section 2815not be less than three hundred dollars ($300) or more than one thousand dollars ($1,000). The fee to be paid upon the application for renewal of the certificate to practice as a public health nurse shall be fixed by the board at notnot be less than one hundred twenty-five dollars ($125) and not more than five hundred dollars ($500). The penalty fee for failure to renew a certificate to practice as a public health nurse within the prescribed time shall be 50 percent of the renewal fee in effect on the date of renewal of the certificate, but not less than sixty-two dollars and fifty cents ($62.50), and not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250). All fees payable under this section shall be collected by and paid to the Board of Registered Nursing Fund. It is the intention of the Legislature that the costs of carrying out the purposes of this article shall be covered by the revenue collected pursuant to this section. The board shall refund any registered nurse who paid more than three hundred dollars ($300) for an evaluation of his or her qualifications to use the title “public health nurse” between April 5, 2018, and December 31, 2018.
- Now Playing: BRN's Intervention Program Video
- Click for help completing the Online RN Exam Application or Online RN Endorsement Application.
- Fall 2017 BRN Report Newsletter Now Available
- 2016 Survey of RNs and Infographic Brochure and 2017 Forecasts of RN Workforce in California and PowerPoint Presentation Now Available
- The BRN is in need of additional Expert Practice Consultants
- Updated Information Regarding Fingerprint Requirement for License Renewal
- Nursing Education Programs Currently on Warning Status with Intent to Close
- Shepherd University, ADN - Board to Withdraw Program Approval with Implementation of Teach-Out Plan (effective 11/9/17)
- Mandatory Use of CURES
- Forms & Publications
- Pre-Licensure RN Programs
- License/Certificate Renewal
- Licensure by Endorsement
- NCLEX-RN Pass Rates
- Licensure by Examination
- Continuing Education Information
- Name/Address Change
- Fee Schedule
- Website Satisfaction Survey
- Join Our Email List
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation