IMPORTANT NOTICE: We are no longer issuing Temporary Licenses at the Board’s front counter.
Licensure by Endorsement
To qualify for endorsement (reciprocity) into California as an RN, you must hold a current and active RN license in another U.S. state or Canada, have completed an educational program meeting all California requirements, and have passed the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) or the State Board Test Pool Examination (SBTPE). The Canadian Comprehensive Examination is not acceptable. If you do not possess these qualifications, you do not qualify for licensure by endorsement and must apply for Licensure by Examination instead.
All applicants must provide the following (refer to the above application packet):
- Appropriate fees as listed on the "APPLICATION FEE SCHEDULE" (page 1).
- Completed "APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE BY ENDORSEMENT" (pages 10 & 11), including a U.S. social security number.
- Completed fingerprints using either the Live Scan process or the Applicant Fingerprint Card (Hard Card) processing method as directed in the "INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING A FINGERPRINT CARD OR LIVE SCAN PROCESS" section (page 5) of the application packet. Submit the appropriate, non-refundable TOTAL FEE as directed on the "APPLICATION FEE SCHEDULE" (page 1).
NOTE: The application packet does not include a Hard Card or Live Scan form. Please refer to Fingerprint Information to download or request these items.
- One recent 2" x 2" passport-type photograph attached to the reverse side of your "APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE BY ENDORSEMENT" (page 11).
- Completed "VERIFICATION OF LICENSE" form (page 12) OR Nursys® Verification Request Application if your board of nursing participates in Nursys®. International graduates must also submit a "VERIFICATION OF LICENSE" form (page 12) from the board of nursing where the examination was taken.
NOTE: Nursys® verifications expire 90 days from the date of request. Please do not request your Nursys® verification prior to submission of your endorsement application or it may expire before your file can be fully evaluated.
- "REQUEST FOR TRANSCRIPT" form(s) (page 13) completed and forwarded directly from the nursing school(s) with certified transcripts.
- If applicable, documents and/or letters explaining prior convictions or disciplinary action and attesting to your rehabilitation as directed in the "REPORTING PRIOR CONVICTIONS OR DISCIPLINE AGAINST LICENSES" section (page 4) of the application packet.
- Request for a Temporary License (optional; check the appropriate box on the "APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE BY ENDORSEMENT" (page 11)) if you wish to begin work pending issuance of a permanent license.
NOTE: The temporary license fee is non-refundable. Temporary licenses are no longer being issued at the Board's front counter.
- IN ADDITION, FOR INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS ONLY:
Send the "BREAKDOWN OF EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM FOR INTERNATIONAL NURSING PROGRAMS" form (page 17) to your school with the "REQUEST FOR TRANSCRIPT" form (page 13). Also, provide the "CERTIFIED ENGLISH TRANSLATION" form (page 16) to a certified translator or translation service if your transcript is not in English. (See the "SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS" section (page 14) of the application packet for additional information.)