ALERT: Updated information concerning the Fingerprint Requirement for renewal of license
Click here for instructions on how to complete the online application for RN licensure by Examination.
Click here for instructions on how to complete the online application for RN licensure by Endorsement.
Welcome to the Board of Registered Nursing
The Board of Registered Nursing protects and advocates for the health and safety of the public by ensuring the highest quality registered nurses in the state of California.
- Nursing Programs
- NCLEX Pass Rates
- Accreditation and Retention/Attrition Rates
- Annual Reports
- RN to BSN/MSN Education
- Specialized Public Health Nursing Program
- Review & Refresher Courses
- Course Listing for Schedule II Controlled Substances
- Financial Aid Information
- Residency & Transition to Practice Programs
- Excelsior College
- Instructions for Institutions Seeking Approval of New Prelicensure RN Program
- Need help completing the Online RN Exam Application? Click here for instructions.
- Need help completing the Online RN Endorsement Application? Click here for instructions.
- Fall 2017 BRN Report Newsletter Now Available
- 2016 Survey of RNs and Infographic Brochure and 2017 Forecasts of RN Workforce in California and PowerPoint Presentation Now Available
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) FAQs regarding Next Generation NCLEX Special Research Section Now Available
- 2015-2016 Updated Prelicensure Interactive Database and 2015-2016 Post-Licensure Nursing Program Data Summary and Historical Trend Analysis Report is Now Available
- Pre-licensure Nursing Education Programs Accreditation and Retention/Attrition Rates Updated
- 2015-2016 Regional and Statewide Pre-Licensure Nursing Program Annual School Reports Now Available
- The BRN has renamed the Expert Witness position to Expert Practice Consultant. We are in need of additional Expert Practice Consultants; please click for more information.
- BSN and Other Healthcare Loan Repayment Applications from the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) are Currently Being Accepted Through October 16, 2017
- Fee increase is in effect for renewal of licenses that have expired or will expire after January 1, 2017
The governor signed the Board of Registered Nursing's fee bill SB 1039, Chapter 799 which provides authority for the Board to increase its RN renewal fee to support Board operations. To accommodate necessary programming changes to Board systems, the fee increases will take effect on January 1, 2017 for delinquent RN renewals and April 30, 2017 for all RN renewals.
- Updated Information Regarding Fingerprint Requirement for License Renewal
- Nursing Education Programs Currently on Warning Status with Intent to Close
- East Los Angeles College, ADN (this status was continued by the Board 11/9/17; next review by Board Education Licensing Committee 3/15/18)
- California Career College, ADN (placed on this status by the Board 11/9/17; next review by Board Education Licensing Committee 10/11/18)
- Shepherd University, ADN - Board to Withdraw Program Approval with Implementation of Teach-Out Plan (effective 11/9/17)
- Forms & Publications
- Pre-Licensure RN Programs
- License/Certificate Renewal
- Licensure by Endorsement
- NCLEX-RN Pass Rates
- Licensure by Examination
- Continuing Education Information
- Name/Address Change
- Fee Schedule
- Website Satisfaction Survey
- Join Our Email List
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation